True, but its sounds like Henry has lots of stuff not marked for GC so
he still has references somewhere, just a case of finding them... Easier
said than done

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Allandt
Bik-Elliott (Receptacle)
Sent: 12 March 2008 16:30
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] [AS3] Memory leaks & unloading

as far as i know, there is no way of dumping the garbage manually - you
have to wait for the flash plugin to dump it once it has been marked

you can check chapter 14 of essential actionscript 3.0 (moock) for more
info about that

On 12 Mar 2008, at 15:54, Henry Cooke wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm currently working on a Flash module to sit inside a larger Flash
> site being developed by another agency. This module needs to be loaded

> and unloaded as needed, and has a fair few library assets, quite
> substantial codebase and will be running PV3D or Away3D, so I need to
> be very careful about destroying everything when my module is finished

> with; the container site is pretty resource-hungry too.
>
> So, my current problem: I've built initialisation and destruction
> routines that run on Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE and
> Event.REMOVED_FROM_STAGE, and a test loader which loads and removes my

> module. However, watching the test loader unload my module in the
> Flash Player shows no noticeable drop in memory after my destructors
> have been called in the module and $loader.unload() has been called in

> the test loader, so it seems like a lot o stuff is gettign stuck in
> memory.
>
> Basically, my destructors set any class variables which reference
> objects to null, which I believe should mark them for garbage
> collection, if nothing else points to them? I also do things like
> removeChild() and bitmapData.dispose() where relevant.
>
> I've compiled in XRay, which shows what you'd expect: various bits
> present on stage while my module is loaded, all gone when it's not.
>
> So I guess my questions are: does anyone know any secret voodoo
> techniques to track down memory use in the Flash player? Is there
> anything better I can be doing than just setting pointers to null?
> Back in the AS2 day, I'd suspect the _global namespace of becoming
> cluttered and just try and nuke _global[ package_name ], but dirty
> hacks like that don't exist in our shiny new AS3 world, do they?
>
> I'd be grateful if anyone can offer any advice about how to properly
> clear up memory after unloading my module. This is my first AS3
> project, and none of my old tricks work :(
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by the Virtual Universe e-mail
security system - powered by MessageLabs.
http://www.virtual-universe.net

The contents of this email (which include its attachments) are confidential and
may be subject to legal privilege and protected by copyright. If you are not
the intended recipient any use, copying or disclosure of this e-mail to any
third party is strictly forbidden by the sender and we reserve all rights and
remedies against any person or entity making any such unauthorised use. If you
have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately by
telephone or return the email to the sender and then delete this email and any
copies of it on your system. Virtual Universe Limited may monitor the contents
of emails sent and received via its network for viruses and to ensure the
lawful and authorised use of its systems. Virtual Universe Limited will not be
held responsible for any damage caused by viruses which may be transmitted upon
receipt of this email or the opening of any attachment thereto. Any views or
opinions presented in this email are solely those of th!
 e author and do not necessarily represent those of Virtual Universe Limited.

Virtual Universe Limited is a company established under the laws of England and
Wales with registered number 03064568 and has its registered office at 1 Regent
Street, London, SW1Y 4NW and principal place of business at 28-39 The Quadrant,
135 Salusbury Road, London NW6 6RJ, United Kingdom. It is registered for VAT in
the United Kingdom with number GB877113217.