It's time for me to get a new computer and I have heard so many horror
stories about Vista that I am thinking of switching to Mac. What tools are
people using to develop on the Mac. I mostly Flash IDE, FlexBuilder,
FlashDevelop, SWFMill, SWFDump, HaXe, FlashTracer - are these available on
Mac? Also any general info about developing on the Mac, positive or
negative, would be helpful.

This is a highly subjective question in so many ways that it's pretty hard for anyone to answer in a neutral fashion.

With that said - yes, Vista is a POS, IMHO. It's the best definition of an extremely annoying, user-unfriendly operating system. It's a slap in the user's face as it automatically assumes anyone using the computer is a complete retard. Which is probably true in 95% of the cases, but that doesn't make it a good development architecture. Not mentioning it IS slow as hell.

So the question shouldn't be whether you get a Mac vs a PC with Vista, but rather a Mac vs a PC with Windows XP.

I'm probably not the best person to comment on it, I haven't used Vista for a very long time. But after getting a Notebook with Vista I was really surprised with how the horror stories (which I didn't believe before, dismissing them as random, generic MS-hate) were accurate. Maybe it's one of those systems that become bearable after you tweak it enough, a bit like XP is. But my initial impressions were so strong I really didn't feel like trying it at all. Thankfully I had bought the Notebook for presentation and testing only so it's now happily running Ubuntu instead.

Zeh