Yes, there are caveats with outsourcing, but the problems are often on the buyer end. If you learn how to specifiy and run your outsourcing projects you can do it successfuly. Don't hire someone that doesn't speak english or has any experience with projects abroad.

I am running multiple indie game projects, all funded out of my own pocket, and they involveĀ“more than 10 people in different countries. Their services range from 2D graphics, 3D modeling, programming and copywriting.

In my opinion outsourcing is the future. I don't see a reason to hire anyone from Europe, unless they offer below-european-standard-rates of course. I do contract americans, because of the great USD.

Regards
Elia