Hi Jason thanks for your help! Ive added what you said but the event listeners
do not seam to to be hearing the dispatched event.

main_site is the document class for main_site.fla, and is loaded into
'gallery.swf'  using this code...

// CODE from within FUNCTION
    var swfLoader:Loader = new Loader();
    var swfURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest(filename);
    swfLoader.load (swfURL);
    swfLoader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE,
swfLoadComplete);

// CODE from within 'swfLoadComplete' FUNCTION
   addChild(ev.target.content);
   var loader:LoaderInfo = LoaderInfo(ev.target);
   loader.content.x = 0;
   loader.content.y = 0;

ive tried adding these but they do not work....
   loader.content.name = "main_site";
...and...
   loader.content.instanceName = "main_site";

The EventDispatcher is imported (the whole import flash.events.*; are imported).

Thanks
SJM