Jon Bradley wrote:

On Nov 14, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Eric E. Dolecki wrote:

Not sure thats really ripping them off considering they probably don't know
how to use the thing even if they bought it themselves.

Well, yea.

Charging setup, installation and customization of some store bought product is one thing. Just selling back with the minor effort it takes to add images to SlideShow Pro is dishonest.

- jb

Yes, but gaining knowledge about these products takes time = money. I am sure that most decent developers will only recommend a product that they have spent a while checking out. I don't see the problem in charging for that time. The alternative is that you build them a system which is not as good for the same money, or build them one as good for the same amount. Don't reinvent the round wheel, but maybe spend the leftover budget making the rest of the project really good - what's the problem with that?

The other issue, which I am sure we have all encountered is that on some jobs we spend too much time & the hourly rate drops, on others we spend too little and the hourly rate goes up - it all balances out and my primary concern is to keep a roof over my head and food in my stomach. If the client wants to save money, they can learn all about the products themselves, but some don't and are happy to pay people that do.

Glen