For some vars, the bounds don't matter - so why not use a public? If
they do matter, use getters/setters. The beauty of Actionscript is -
to the designer - it doesn't matter or change anything. :-) And from
your PoV, you can flip between either when you need to add (or drop)
bounds checks. (Or traces, or whatever.)

:-)

Ian