I usually take the private with getters and setters approach - I can check
the bounds of the setting of the var. I am thinking more of designers here
taking the code and using it than I am other developers. Although I have
many times set up public vars that I tweak from outside the class(es) too.
Eric

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:14 AM, Ian Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think we're saying the same thing there. :-)
>
> Such code amending is needed in languages like Java, because you can't
> go from a property to a getter/setter _without_ changing the
> interface. Which is why the Java getters and setters are used almost
> everywhere - like I said, it's programming in self-defense.
>
> Ian
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:05 AM, allandt bik-elliott
> (thefieldcomic.com) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > any code amending outside the class can be avoided if you take the
> > (self-imposed) rule that internal/private class vars start with a leading
> > underscore but public ones don't - that way if you need to create getters
> > and setters, you just create the class var with the _ and the get/set
> > without
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Ian Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> In the programming languages used in the old CS textbooks, you didn't
> >> have the option to switch from a public property to a getter/setter
> >> pair without breaking the interface.
> >>
> >> Ian

> n1

http://ericd.net