Hah, that reminds of of the classic Yugop site, back during Flash 4
days -- the one with the rotating cube preloader, the "older"
generation among us might remember...

What you're actually trying to do is a bit different, though. When you
think about it, it's not unlike a tree-map, where you add weight to
the node the mouse is over, and subtract from the others.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treemapping>

HTH,
Mark