Thanks Anthony, very useful to know. BTW, I just noticed that the Mac version of SoThink's SWF Decompiler is at version 4.5, whereas the Windows version is now at 5.0. I need v5 to decompile AS3 code for FlashPlayer 10, so I'll run the Windows version under VMWare Fusion for now.

On 2009-05-05  , at 23:40 , Anthony Pace wrote:

When I have deleted the fla, I only have my swf, and I need to reuse a bit of code, sothink has come to the rescue quite a few times; however, I am on windows.

If it has to be a mac, even though it crashes, I think sothink is your best bet.

Gerry Beauregard wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good tool for decompiling SWFs (and if possible SWCs) written in ActionScript 3? Must run on MacOS 10.5. I was considering buying the SoThink SWF Decompiler for Mac, but unfortunately it often crashes when I select an SWF I just built with Flex Builder 3, and even when it doesn't crash, the trial version doesn't display ActionScript code.

Incidentally, I have no intention of ripping off anyone else's ActionScript code. Quite the contrary, I'm developing new code, and want to see what people using a decompiler would be able to figure out if I don't use obfuscation. If I conclude that obfuscation is necessary at all, I'll need a decompiler to evaluate obfuscation options...

-Gerry