I've given up on trying to figure out Adobe pricing. The last time I
queried the ridiculous difference between US and UK prices the quotes
I had were:

- "It costs more to keep UK support staff": Well, I'm sorry about
that, but I never use your UK support staff - besides, I give other
people support on mailing lists. Can I have a discount?
- "It costs more to ship the boxes across": Really? For a download?

and then finally

- "We charge what the market will bear": Which sounds like the real
answer, but does not make me happy. Still, sending a developer over to
the US to buy copies in a shop there - because the cost of the flight
is much cheaper than the software - would make the developer happy.

Anyway, with regards to download vs. shipping, the reason given for
the odd pricing is because the download server is in Ireland, which
has a higher VAT rate than the UK.

Ian