Jason's suggestion of adding a trace to see if the class is even being
activated was excellent, thank you. No, it is not being activated.

I tried to comment out the mcHandInstance2 as per Mark's suggestion:

  public function init():void {
    hatAndFace();
    eyeball1();
    eyeball2();
    myRightHand();
//    var mcHandInstance2:mcHand = new mcHand();
    addChild(mcHandInstance2)
    mcHandInstance2.addFrameScript(20, myLeftHand)
//    myLeftHand();
  }

but it threw this error:

TypeError: Error #2007: Parameter child must be non-null.
    at flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer/addChild()
    at Main/init()
    at main_fla::MainTimeline/frame1()

Mark informs me that I need to name these calls to mcHandInstance2 different
things; however, I still am greatly struggling to understand the fundamental
logic of what I'm trying to build. Can you help me understand how these
various elements work together so that I can properly name them? I, like
you, doubt seriously that I want them all to be the same name.

I'm sure Michael's suggestion was as good as Jason's, but obviously there
was no point for it, at least at this juncture, because the class is not
being activated.

If you all care to, please suggest google kw for me to research, but please
not the general educational information, of which I have studied some and
continue to study more. The learning curve is long and steep, par for the
course in programming, but frankly (and this is not a complaint!) apparently
longer and steeper than the norm with AS3.
TIA,
beno

package
{
 import flash.events.Event;
 import flash.events.MouseEvent;
 import flash.display.MovieClip;
 import com.greensock.*;
 import com.greensock.plugins.*;
 import com.greensock.easing.*;
 public class Main extends MovieClip
  {
  public var mcHandInstance2:mcHand;
  public function Main():void
    {
  }
  public function init():void {
    hatAndFace();
    eyeball1();
    eyeball2();
    myRightHand();
    var mcHandInstance2:mcHand = new mcHand();
    addChild(mcHandInstance2)
    mcHandInstance2.addFrameScript(20, myLeftHand)
//    myLeftHand();
  }
  public function hatAndFace():void
    {
    TweenPlugin.activate([AutoAlphaPlugin]);
    var mcHatAndFaceInstance:mcHatAndFace = new mcHatAndFace();
    addChild(mcHatAndFaceInstance);
    mcHatAndFaceInstance.x = 350;
    mcHatAndFaceInstance.y = 100;
    mcHatAndFaceInstance.alpha = 0;
    TweenLite.to(mcHatAndFaceInstance, 2, {autoAlpha:1});
  }
  public function eyeball1():void
    {
    var mcEyeballInstance1:mcEyeball = new mcEyeball();
    addChild(mcEyeballInstance1);
    mcEyeballInstance1.x = 380;
    mcEyeballInstance1.y = 115;
    mcEyeballInstance1.alpha = 0;
    TweenLite.to(mcEyeballInstance1, 2, {autoAlpha:1});
  }
  public function eyeball2():void
    {
    var mcEyeballInstance2:mcEyeball = new mcEyeball();
    addChild(mcEyeballInstance2);
    mcEyeballInstance2.x = 315;
    mcEyeballInstance2.y = 115;
    mcEyeballInstance2.alpha = 0;
    TweenLite.to(mcEyeballInstance2, 2, {autoAlpha:1});
  }
  public function myRightHand():void
    {
    var mcHandInstance1:mcHand = new mcHand();
    addChild(mcHandInstance1);
    mcHandInstance1.x = 400;
    mcHandInstance1.y = 200;
  }
/*
  public function set totalProgress(value:Number):void
    {
    myLeftHand.value = 1;
  }
*/
//  private function myLeftHand():void
  private function myLeftHand(e:Event=null):void
    {
    if (e.target.currentFrame == 10) { trace("yes") };
    var mcHandInstance2:mcHand = new mcHand();
    addChild(mcHandInstance2);
    mcHandInstance2.x = 800;
    mcHandInstance2.y = 200;
//    if (e.target.currentFrame == 40) TweenMax.to(mcHandInstance2, 2,
{x:200, startAt:{totalProgress:1}}).reverse();