I'd say, learn a lower-level language. I've worked with some guys with an
assembly and c++ background, and they really knew how to squeeze the last
drops of performance out of a flash app.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Paul Andrews <p...@ipauland.com> wrote:

> Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
>
>> Duly noted. I dont think I am so much worried that I should know C# in
>> order to know or learn AS3, but more,
>> if I do take on C#, that I can incorporate my skills and be able to expand
>> beyond the barriers so-to-speak
>> as a flash developer and programer. Also, because I am told that they are
>> similar, will it may make it easier to learn
>> C# if I already know AS3?
>>
> Certainly. The first language is always the hardest, then most concepts
> will travel between languages even if there are differences in the way they
> are implemented.
>
> Paul
>

>> Karl

>>> version of Actionscript.

>>> as a primary goal not general programming, such things aren't such an issue.

>>> language X to become an AS3 programmer" and the answer is most definitely
>>> "No". There's no harm (and much to be gained) in learning subsequent
>>> languages once the principle concepts are grasped with the first language.
>>> What is a mistake is to try and learn two new languages at the same time and
>>> it would also be misleading to say that learning another language is a
>>> prerequisite for learning AS3.

>>> spent several years working on writing operating systems and low-level disk
>>> controllers. Many of the people I have worked with have grown up in a
>>> specific development environment and don't stray beyond it. They are
>>> sometimes rather surprised if I use a technique that is used in OS
>>> synchronisation.
>>>
>>> You mention concurrency and that is something Adobe needs to address (I'm
>>> sure it won't be easy to make the Flash infrastructure thread safe) and we
>>> both know that it will improve performance greatly in the player where there
>>> are multiple cores available. I'm sure it will also swell the posting on
>>> flashcoders!
>>>
>>> Currently it's necessary for developers to know Actionscript for Flash
>>> and Flex plus something else for server interaction. I'd rather see the
>>> second language being useful to allow people to complete their pipeline to
>>> the server than be a language that may not suit that well. It's also
>>> important in these economic climes, that the effort put in suits the market
>>> demand for expertise. It's unfortunate in some ways that Adobe haven't
>>> pushed the boat a little further with a good server-side actionscript
>>> implementation to make that access to data even easier.
>>>
>>> I used to develop in a proprietary environment with some similarities to
>>> Flash/Actionscript and used to write "headless" applications in it,
>>> replacing server-side scripting even though the language and environment was
>>> primarily designed to work with a GUI. The great thing was that other team
>>> members who had only learned to use that particular system could take on the
>>> subsequent development and maintenance of the code without having to learn
>>> an extra language. The fact that they were limited to one
> [...]

Meinte van't Kruis

Freelance Flash Platform Dev (mxml,actionscript,flex,air)

malatze
http://www.malatze.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/meinte
mei...@malatze.com