From: Dave Watts
Sender: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
To: Flash Coders List
ReplyTo: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] problem with paths
Sent: Jan 22, 2010 3:27 PM

> The leading slash was just a typo in my email, but the code doesn't start
> with a leading slash, so that can't be the problem.

Well, in that case, it's doing something completely different. It's
expecting to find the XML file in a subdirectory within the directory
containing the current page URL.

> It's on an intranet, so an internal website that people like me, who are
> external, can't see or access [and they won't grant me access either]. We
> can't just tell them "sorry" because they are some huge multinational
> company, and we are a small local agency...
>
> They sent me the path names of where they put the file, and where it is
> being loaded from, so I tried hardcoding the exact path into my AS file for
> the XML file, but it still wont load it.
>
> I know that if I make them test my HTML file that I used, which sits in the
> same folder as the resources, it works for them JUST FINE...
>
> So it is when they try and load it from a different directory on the same
> server that it doesn't.
>
> Something like:
>
> http://theirsite.com/flash
>
> Is being read from:
>
> http://theirsite.com/someotherplace/somesubfolder
>
> Is there something else I need to set, it loads the SWF from:
>
> http://theirsite.com/flash
>
> just fine, but it won't load the XML from:
>

> http://theirsite.com/flash/xml/data.xml
>
> Any other ideas?

I would recommend that you rewrite your Flash app so that you can
specify a fully-qualified URL as an argument in flashvars, then have
them specify the fully-qualified URL to the XML file.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Nathan Mynarcik
Interactive Web Developer
nat...@mynarcik.com
254.749.2525