I really can't believe this reply chain has lasted this long.

450 is 15% of 3000.
0.5% of 3000 is 15.

% simply means out of 100.

15/100 * 3000 = 450;
0.5/100 * 3000 = 15;

The equations through most of these emails have been right. Nobody seems to
actually be reading them.

Jonathan said:
sum/total * 100 = percentage

Karl said:
sum = percent*total/100

That's the same thing!!! Stop arguing.
However Karl, I'd recommend, for simplicity, you don't separate the percent
and the 100.
So - (percent/100)*total | Not percent*total/100
It'll help when things get more complicated.

Cheers,

Ashim

The Random Lines
www.therandomlines.com