at sxsw, the adobe guy giving the flash talk was getting pummelled by the
audience about flash's absence from the iShiny and his eventual response (so
i reliably informed) was 'we make tools'

i take this to mean that when the plugin has outlived it's usefulness,
they'll already be exporting to the canvas tag or whatever is the natural
successor to it. At the moment, the canvas tag can't keep up with flash in
terms of performance (and i've no idea about how it deals with
interactivity) but eventually it will - maybe then, it'll be within adobe's
best interest to roll out flash content to that instead of it's current .swf
format.

maybe someone will come up with a way of displaying .swf files within html5
(canvas or svg) like the proof of concept javascript engine that came out a
little while back

best