Truth about FITC:

cons:

-The workshops, even though they should be included, are overpriced.
-Not enough technical presentations
-Most of the presenters are just trying to build up their reputations, by telling you what they did, without actually telling you how to do anything. -Not sure which one it was, cause I am not going off of my note, but when I talked to people that rented booths, it is not a great place to have a book stand that competes with the event's 'official' FITC bookstand. -Rooms can get cramped during a decent presentation; yet, that can be said about almost any conference. -had to wait forever for the chartered buses to actually take you to an after party, and it's just better to take a Cab. -not much swag in the default FITC grab bag; however, RED5 gave me 5 shirts in total, and I think I still have them. -Beware of vapour ware. E.g. Saffron, was supposed to be released by the dude that runs http://www.levelofindustry.com (why they got this guy to present I will never know; his session was a complete waste of time.. thank goodness I only caught the last 10 min.)
-It seemed like all the cool presentations were held at the same time.
-If you are trying to recruit a real artist, you might have a hard time according to the dude at the Massive Black booth. He said it was a waste of time going; for, very few people had an education related to fine art, or any talent with a pencil. ( OT... I find it funny that in most Universities, even though the jobs these days are paying more if you have classical training, there is still such a focus toward layout, so called modernism, or the gestalt of it all, rather than focus on drafting, calligraphy, life art, and anatomy)

Pros:

-Great place to look for jobs
-Great place to meet those bloggers you've been following
-Great place to market yourself period, and quite possibly capture a few contracts -Decent after parties, and if you happen to decide to something outside the official FITC itinerary, there are a ton of clubs and bars (with or without live music), all over Toronto. -Occasionally a presentation is a little inspiring; even if it doesn't go into detail. -When there is a technical session, although it is often too short due to delays from the last session, they can occasionally teach you something useful.
-A lot of the people are very nice
- I was bought free beer like crazy.