Kerry Thompson skriver:
Henrik Andersson wrote:

... and volume controls wouldn't be able to emulate different attacks.

Yes they could. Who is to say that you can't make the control change based
on the frequency?

Of course you could base the volume control based on the frequency.
You could emulate louder notes, but I'm not talking about a
good-enough sound. I'm talking about a realistic piano sound.

There is much more that goes into the attack than volume, though.
There are overtones; noise (the hammer hitting the strings, for
example); the speed of the rise and fall, which vary by note, and
affect the harmonics differently; and other factors.

The attack, sustain, and decay are much too complex to be accurately
reproduced by simple volume control.

Accepted, no _simple_ volume control would do. The overtones and the noise would have to be properly simulated too. It's just a matter of how much effort you want to put into it.

But I think that we can agree that he is not asking for something even close to what you'd tolerate.