http://philippe.elsass.me/2010/05/as3-fast-memory-access-without- alchemy/

Best,
Karl

On Jul 19, 2011, at 10:42 PM, Gerry Beauregard wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this! Definitely interesting. In my limited testing with Alchemy, I found that getting large amounts of data across the AS3-Alchemy boundary using ByteArrays was indeed a major bottleneck, so anything that eliminates that bottleneck is welcome indeed!

-Gerry

On 2011-07-20  , at 07:09 , Kevin Newman wrote:

Or Pixel Bender - I've heard you can do some heavy processing with that too.

Additionally, HaXe has some ways to avoid some of the overhead of Alchemy when using it from AS3. You'd have to do a lot in haxe instead of AS3, but you can use the alchemy stuff though inlining, which accesses the memory stored in Alchemy directly, instead of copying data back and forth between AS3 and Alchemy memory space, which if I understand it correctly, is where the overhead is with Alchemy.

Joa has a tool (http://code.google.com/p/apparat/) which might be useful to help do some AS3 inlining to the Alchemy memory operations. I think the way to use it, is to make sure your bytearrays are stored in the Alchemy memory. Then you can access that from AS3 without the memcopy overhead.

Kevin N.