Hi David,

What you can do is create and run an AIR app on startup of the users machine,
respond to the idleTime property and show some media or text accordingly. The
only thing is that it won't show up in the screeensavers list on the
appropriate OS.

I think the SPF app has something similar:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/samples_actionscript.html

Also look at:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/desktop/NativeApplication.html#idleThreshold

As for OS agnostic software to create screensavers, take a look at
http://www.multidmedia.com/software/zinc/ i used that in the past an has a lot
of extra API's you can use and well documented. It is also a bit pricy... but
if you are creating this for a client maybe you can try to put this on their
invoice as "expenses" (of make a deal with the client so they pay for it).

Hope this steers you in a good direction,

Best,
Sidney

--
Sidney de Koning - "Be a geek, rockstar style!"
Read my blog: http://www.funky-monkey.nl (http://www.funky-monkey.nl/blog/)