AS4 is on the way, including a new VM to support it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kerry Thompson" <al...@cyberiantiger.biz>
To: "Flash Coders List" <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] AS3

I don't think there is going to be an AS4. The ECMA Script committee was
working on a new standard at one point, but they disbanded 2-3 years ago
without issuing a standard for ECMA Script 4.

Adobe have been adding capabilities, such as sort, and I expect they will
continue to add capabilities. They might even call a new release
ActionScript 4, but it won't meet any ECMA standard.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. AS3 is a mature, robust
language that has most of the features found in Java, JavaScript, and even
C++. To go much beyond what they already have, it would almost mean a whole
new programming paradigm.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson