"Also, there is Jangaroo, which compiles AS3 to JS. That is closer to AS3
than haXe. ;-)"

hmmm, nowhere near as mature as haxe and haxe compiles to JS without
needing a "lightweight runtime" either.

the lack of a standard for ECMA script 4 is interesting, adobe has put
there plans forward here
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html for
actionscript next.