> On Feb 18, 2018, at 7:09 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <t...@toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Pete Heist <petehe...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 1) Add a new —tos parameter (possibly with a —ds synonym) that just sets the
>> value passed in, hex or dec. It will not allow text. Basically what —dscp is
>> today.
>>
>> 2) Change —dscp to left shift whatever value is passed in by two bits,
>
> Is it really useful to have two different ones? Adding --tos as an alias
> for --dscp (and maybe deprecating the latter) would be sufficient,
> wouldn't it? If you support the textual representations most people will
> probably use those anyway, I figure. DiffServ is a mess in any case, so
> spending too much effort trying to support is "nicely" is probably not
> worth it.

I only don’t love the idea of —tos accepting a DSCP text value when the field
isn’t called the ToS field anymore. I know people look for tos because that’s
what they’ve been used to all these years, but I rather like getting rid of old
stuff when possible. I’d feel more comfortable with —ds, as it’s the DS field
now. I’ll still think about it…

>> This would break —dscp’s current behavior, so I would increment the
>> version number when I do it, and save it for v1.0 in case there are
>> other breaking changes.
>
> Well, that means Flent would need to deal with this case and detect
> which version of irtt is available; which IMO goes into the 'too much
> effort' category ;)

I hear you. :)