Hi Jim,

Yes, LOL ... and it gets worse when we try to plot a graph for one year
(about 500,000 observatons).

We are plotting values received from sensors (eg temperature, vibration,
humidity, gps location, gps velocity, wind speed, current, voltage, light).
We take readings each minute.

I have produced a dashboard which uses the following techniques:

1. Each sensor graph is in its own window ... so can be looking at 10 graphs
at the same time for instance.
2. I average data to reduce the dataset size
3. I employ drill down
4. I have included a slider to look at reduced time frames

The client rejected this solution. I did some tests in flex and found
results similar to you Jim. When I tried to plot 40,000 points I gave up
waiting for it after 6 minutes. 10,000 points took about 20 secs the first
time (including reading from the local sqlite data store).

The client and I have now agreed that:

1. If we have a large number of observations from a sensor and plot all of
those on a graph over a period of time, then whatever optimisation we use to
improve performance should produce an identical looking graph to the first.
(I think that identical is probably to strong a word here)
2. We will add a confif paramter for each sensor such that the sensor
readings can be changed to occur at multiples of 1 minute. For example,
every 10 minutes.

So, I will still end up with data sets to large for flex, and given that I
want to display many graphs at once and will also be looking at representing
many sensors on the one graph this contributes to the issue.

So, I do need to sample the dataset somehow to make it work. But have to try
to meet the goal expressed in point 1 above.

I think a combination of your points 3 and 4 might be a good approached
combined with some algorithm to ensure that my top level curve does not miss
an max's and min's and as close as possible approximates a full detail
curve.

A few challenges there!

Thanks again,
Mark