Mark Easton wrote:
> It appears that Flex Charts cannot handle generating charts with large
> DataSets. We tried with 50,000 data points and it thrashed away without
> producing a result after 6 minutes. It was able to plot 2,000 points in
> about 25 seconds.
>
> What is the recommended approach for creating charts from large data
> sets. The best I can think of is to write some code that will reduce the
> data set in size yet still provide enough data to represent the graph
> accurately.
>
> Thoughts?

LoD.  Large scale datasets can work the same way computer graphics do.
Users don't normally need to see every data point when a summary will
do.  Provide the user with the minimal amount of information necessary
to understand what the data is saying and let them use the interface to
drill down into specific areas.

This works really well if you pre-calculate and cache the results on the
backend (and predictive caching on the front doesn't hurt either).

-Ricky