I think RSLs are the key to keeping file side down on your Flex apps.
The Flex framework is about 1.5 megs worth of code, and it only gets
bigger if youre doing charting, rpc, etc. A Flex app gets a tough hit
dragging all this supporting code into the app.
That said though, if you reference these libraries as RSLs, you might
never take the hit with your app if another app has already used those
libraries and they are cached in your player- and your Flex app will
stay pretty small.

cheers-
Dustin

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Ralf Bokelberg"
<ralf.bokelb...@...> wrote:

> If you go for size, i'd use Flash. There is nothing wrong with it, as
> you are not developing a enterprise application with a big team.
> Cheers
> Ralf.
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:50 AM, Josh McDonald <dzn...@...> wrote:
> > I definitely agree with you Gabriel, you wouldn't catch me doing a
non-Flex
> > Flash project at all- I was under the impression the OP was *very*
concerned
> > about size, although that could just've been my (often lax)
comprehension
> > skills :)
> >
> > -Josh

> >> I'm primarily a Flex developer and, of course it depends on what
you want
> >> do, but I wouldn't go for a "pure AS3" project unless it was a simple
> >> banner.
> >> 200KB is too little.  A normal medium size flickr image already
weights
> >> about
> >> 100KB.
> >>
> >> Even though widgets might use little area, they are often complete
> >> websites
> >> upon themselves.  I did a facebook widget for Target not long
ago.  It was
> >> simple widget but still it had to load data from different
sources, it had
> >> do reporting, it had to forward requests for products, it had a
carousel
> >> with
> >> details info and additional images, etc... and of course, it had
to do the
> >> normal things that all of these flash movies have to do: it had
to load
> >> smoothly, it had instantiate it's components, it had to load and
cache
> >> stuff,
> >> it had to have embedded fonts and assets, load backgrounds, etc.
 And it

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=942dbdc8-e469-446f-b4cf-1e62079f6847
> >> http://www.mail-archive.com/flexcoders%40yahoogroups.comYahoo!
Groups Links