Hi Brendan
makes sense to put the code :-), With the format I was looking for following
code works perfectly for me, I am not sure thats the right way of coding but
this is working for my purpose. I am pretty sure there can be far far better
way for this
Anuj
/**************************CODE******************/
<mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
        import mx.messaging.channels.StreamingAMFChannel;
    import mx.controls.Alert;

    [Bindable]
    public var track:String;
    private function init():void
    {
        btn_genkey.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,key);
    }

    public function key(event:MouseEvent):void
    {
        var newLength:uint = 12;
        var userAlphabet:String = "BCDFGHJKLMNPQRSTVWXYZ";
        var alphabet:Array=userAlphabet.split("");
        var alphabetLength:int = alphabet.length;
        var randomLetters:String = "";

        var _keyfirstpart:String;
        var _keysecondpart:String;
        var _keythirdpart:String;
        var _keyforthpart:String;
        var _concatenatedString:String;
        for (var i:uint = 0; i < newLength; i++)
          {
            randomLetters += alphabet[int(Math.floor(Math.random() *
alphabetLength))];
          }
          _keyfirstpart=randomLetters.slice(0,3);
          _keysecondpart=randomLetters.slice(3,6);
          _keythirdpart=randomLetters.slice(6,9);
          _keyforthpart=randomLetters.slice(9,12);

_concatenatedString=_keyfirstpart+"-"+_keysecondpart+"-"+_keythirdpart+"-"+_keyforthpart;
          text_ii.text=_concatenatedString;

    }
    ]]>
</mx:Script>

    <mx:TextInput id="text_ii" x="645" y="270" width="224"/>
    <mx:Button id="btn_genkey" x="513" y="270" label="Generate key"
width="124" />