I don't think that forcing people to follow OOP is necessarly the best
idea.  I'd imagine that a lot of the people who use flex come from more of a
web presentation background then any other background and don't necessarily
know the best practices.  The thing about the include statement is that it
allows for seperation for scripts and the MXML content.  Now most people
will be probably exending dispaly classes using mxml because its is more
intuative.  Especially as bindings work differently for .as classes.

I know it isn't necessary to extend these classes using mxml but certainly
for composite components it seems the easiest way to do things.  Where would
you create the children in an extended actionscript class?  In the
constructor by overriding some obscure methods, that don't even appear in
the AS doc of the class your looking at?

I therfore think that import is important.  However I think its open to
abuse. Its bad practice certainly but it has a place in RIA in my opinion.

Regards,
Wesley