Hi Nick

The dependancies really get a bit convoluted due to the localization classes
that are intertwined for error messages and the like. Literally almost drove me
to drinking trying to get this stuff to stand by itself - even just the
ArrayCollection class to stand by itself.

At best I've ever been able to do is root off of SimpleApplication instead of
Application. This automatically includes some of the classes that are needed.
Note: SimpleApplication does not appear as an option in any dropdown list, but
its there (hidden). In essence it creates a very light "bootstrapped" version
of the application that doesn't require nor will it allow you to use, any of
the Flex components if I remember right. However, it *will* allow you Remoting
standalone.

If memory serves me right, you have to still be a bit careful in how you
approach things. In order to use Remoting I believe you will need to specify
everything manually vs. relying on compile settings. I ran into a problem with
Remoting not working right when having a complex startup structure, but I was
relying more on compile settings for the endpoints. At the time that was enough
to make me abandon things, however later when I got things working with
Application using settings I loaded manually from an xml file I didn't get a
chance to go back and test if it would have worked with SimpleApplication. By
that time I had wasted several days of research and needed to get things
happening.

So if I were you and I was attempting to do things I'd start out by doing the
following:

a) Create a Flex Application based on Application and figure out and get
RemoteObject working without using the configuration settings in the project -
that is do not declare that you are using remoting or any server type. Use as
few UI components as possible.
- I don't like MXML very much so I let Flex create the project and its
main.mxml. I then create my own ActionScript class that extends Application in
my normal package hiearchy. I then import the package using xmlns into the
main.mxml and change the class defininition from mx:Application to the new
namespace:MyApplication. I then ignore the MXML from there on out.

b) Once a) is working, change out Application with SimpleApplication (same
package, so just add Simple to the import and extends. Replace any UI
components with simple things like TextFields and the like. See if it will
work.

c) Once your comfortable with a) & b) then I would take the concept and see if
I could get it to work with the ActionScript project. Or if your like me, I
stay with the Flex App project as there are a couple of other minor benefits in
terms of automation and the lack of need to sort out the rest of the references
to the libraries. SimpleAppication does not base off of a Container like
Application does. It does bring along some baggage but the baggage depends on
the amount of the Flex framework you access.

Not sure if this will help you, but it summarizes how I attempted to approach
it. Like I said I made some mistakes, and then didn't have time to go back and
retest so the above might get it to work, might not. But take baby steps in the
transition from one to the other vs. attempting huge leaps and you might be
rewarded.

Also, if you are going ot manually configure things I think I wound up needing
to use:

mx.rpc.remoting.mxml.RemoteObject

and not just RemoteObject.

sample manual configuration from an XML file

_remoteObject = new RemoteObject();
_remoteObject.source = _configda...@source;
_remoteObject.destination = pconfigda...@destination;
_remoteObject.endpoint = pconfigda...@endpoint;

where the config xml node looks like this:
(FlourineFX)
<remoting destination="mydestination"
endpoint="http://{server.name}/Gateway.aspx"; source="Service.ServiceFacade" />
or