From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcod...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Alex Harui
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 1:39 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Unloading Modules - Binding is the Enemy?

        Every time I've debugged a suspected Binding leak, I've found
that it sets up weak references in the right places and the problem was
always somewhere else.  However, I wouldn't bet against there being a
scenario out there that does leak.  We're looking at other module
unloading scenarios right now so I'd still be willing to look at a
simple test case.

        IMHO, the main app should "never" reference the model.  If you
have a model Singleton, the module can bind to the singleton.  IMHO,
that's a better model/view design anyway.  I would expect all popups
related to the module to be removed in order for the module to unload.

        One aspect of the modules design is that it does not require an
unload() command.  The design was that you would load a module and
generate an instance (or several) of the module's classes and once
you've cleaned up all references to those instances, the module would go
away in a future gc pass.  That way, you wouldn't have to track
instances and know when it is time to call unload().  In order to
implement such a design, the module SWF is given an unload() call right
away so that its generated instances are supposedly the only remaining
references to the modules classes thus preventing garbage-collection.
Given the current design, I don't think we can ever substitute
unloadAndStop() for that unload call.  Also, no testing has been done by
the Flex team as to what impact unloadAndStop will have in ActionScript
if references to objects suddenly become invalid.  IMHO, unloadAndStop
should only be used when there are well-defined boundaries such as
around a sub-application since sub-apps tend to be more self-sufficient.
Modules are much more tightly integrated with the main application.

        However, Modules or no Modules, we realize that debugging memory
leaks is hard work.  The Gumbo profiler has a new backreference display
that eliminates most extraneous backreferences, and we welcome any other
ideas for tools and techniques for finding leaks.

        Alex Harui

        Flex SDK Developer

        Adobe Systems Inc. <http://www.adobe.com/>

        Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui