If you would like to gain a deep understanding of Flex 3, the best way remains
to go through the Flex Builder 3 help system or Adobe LiveDocs online, page by
page, compiling each sample app, and tweaking it to learn if you have time.

It will take several weeks or months, but you will truely have a solid
foundation.

Greg