Lee Jenkins wrote:

>  >
>  > Web based flex applications seem to take magnitudes longer to return a
>  > result
>  > than do Air based application. I've tried with HTTPService and URLLoader
>  > components and it is the same.
>  >
>  > I've created one small air application and one small web based flex app
>  > identical. Air app is almost instantaneous while the web page based app
>  > (Firefox) takes noticeably longer.
>  >
>  > My guess is that browser mechanics (security, etc) is the culprit.
>  >
>  > Any suggestions or comments?
>
> I take this back. My mistake and should have checked it before posting,
> but the
> truth is that Air applications run from the IDE are magnitudes faster
> that web
> page based flex app run from the IDE. When testing response times with the
> COMPILED web based flex app OUTSIDE of the IDE, the difference was
> noticeable,
> but negligent.

OK, I'll get my head screwed on right today sometime.

It appears that its Firefox (3.5.7) that causes the delay.  Two test
applications with exactly the same code.  One is deployed to AIR and the other
to a basic webpage, letting FlexBuilder create the html page, etc.

SWF running directly in flash player:
  - Little to no difference, fast

AIR app (either in debug mode or not):
  - Little to no difference, fast

SWF running in Internet Explorer 8.0:
  - Little to no difference, fast

FireFox 3.5.7
  - Noticeably slower.

Everything including server is running local on my computer (3 Gigs of RAM,
Vista 32bit) and just to be sure, I disabled all add-ins and plug-ins for
Firefox and the result is consistently the same.  Using either a URLLoader or
HTTPService to pull down xml, Firefox takes a while longer to send the request
to the server, once the URLLoader or HTTPService sends methods have been
called,
  than the other methods mentioned above.

The server application is my own Delphi/FreePascal based server so I could set
break point on the socket creation line to see exactly when the server received
the request from the flex application.  With Firefox (as opposed to Air
application, Internet Explorer or running the naked swf file in Flash Player)
the time it takes for the server to get the request is significantly longer
(1.5
secs on average subjective speed) thus providing an overall and significantly
longer delay to process the request from click to response.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee