I think flex was targeted as “niche” intentionally. Not every product can or should be target for the largest possibly audience. In this case, a new field of technology with many unknowns…at least until you’ve banged out a couple of releases to get a handle on the path you need to follow. Take a look at public info on Zorn and flash platform…I’m sure we’ll see a modified approach based on their experience over the past couple of years.

-Stace

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jonathan Bezuidenhout
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:05 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Flex Server Alternatives

It DOES affect the developer - few companies can afford the high prices and you are out of a job.

I think at the moment pointless for any developer to learn Flex with the few limited opportunities.  The place I am currently working is the only one in town that does this work.  I think if you look on any of the job boards there will be next to nothing.  To them Flex still means a working condition (i.e. flex hours!)

Unless an open source/hosting environment can be established, I think it is doomed.  So far Flex is far too niche to have any traction.  The open source community/IBM seems to have chosen Laszlo.

Microsoft and Sparkle is on its way.  Macromedia has wasted the head-start they had.  Once the Microsoft propaganda machine kicks into gear...

Just having a superior product does not translate into a viable product.

my 2c