I discovered Google's Closure Library while working on a large JavaScript
project. It was painful to switch to it in the middle of the project because
you need to write JavaScript in a certain style and for advanced optimization
to work, you need to annotate code and add exports but in the end it was well
worth the effort.

Not only you get lots of useful things (like true OO support, Events, etc.)
missing from JavaScript but with its advanced optimization, you get super
optimized code. (eg. our library went from 500KB to 100KB and it's super fast).

There are also other tools like Closure Linter that checks your code for style
issues and JSDoc works well with Closure style JavaScript.

So, I highly recommend Closure Library. I also tried bunch of IDEs for
JavaScript and IntelliJ seemed to be the best one for me even though I'm an
Eclipse guy. For debugging, Chrome's debugger is definitely the most stable and
easy one to use for me.

Hope this helps,
Mete