On 18 January 2012 02:05, Merrill, Jason <jason.merr...@bankofamerica.com>wrote:

>  The problem isn’t even that large companies are in bed with Microsoft
> (that is a problem), but it’s that they have many many existing legacy
> enterprise apps that only work or have only been tested to work in IE, and
> those systems need to be supported and in place for years to come.

It is also worth mentioning that if any of you have spent any time being a
Windows desktop system administrator, you will appreciate the management
features that only IE has in conjunction with group policy.
Changing/enforcing proxy settings, certificate authorities, cache policies,
homepages, look and feel settings and more can be done by just flicking a
few settings in Group Policy.

To do the same with Firefox, you'll have to modify a bunch of files on
installation, and on every change, push out a new prefs.js file. Sounds
easy enough, but try doing that when you have different settings that apply
depending on the site the user is at, the groups they're a part of, etc.

Unfortunately, none of the alternative browsers seem to pay much attention
to the enterprise, so IE is pretty safe until there is a reasonable
alternative.