The new skinning architecture in Flex 4 separates business logic and design
for a component. The component itself contains only the functionality (the
M and C of the MVC pattern) and the skin defines its visual aspect (the V
of MVC). If used correctly, you can change the design (skin) of a component
without the need for changing the code of the component itself. One
component and many skins, e.g. for desktop, for mobile, for different
applications.

Skinning is very good documented and there are many resources available,
just search for "spark skinning".

Haykel Ben Jemia

Allmas
Web & Mobile Development