You do not need root access unless you need to run on a privileged port
(ie. under 1024).  You can install your Java app server of choice with
FDS in any folder you want.

FDS Express is only restricted by it's license.  For instance the
license states that you can only run FDS Express on a single cpu
machine.  And that you can't redistribute FDS Express.

- -James