Good question Barry. I've thought about the same thing. Honestly, I doubt anyone build one in Eclipse but apps like Sepy, etc can now integrate Flex as a supported language. They def' are not in the market to get rich on Builder. You don't get rich off a product by giving a free solution to the product.

More player downloads? Sure. They are pushing the Flash Platform. Get'em in the door and push more things their way and get them to buy/use Adobe product(s). This is all speculation but this was definitely the best move for the community (free SDK; low priced Builder).

"why didn't Adobe release remoting solutions themselves?"

What do you mean? I take it http://www.adobe.com/go/flashremoting isn't what you are talking about? Do you mean more languages? Do you mean more languages for FDS? I'd like to see the Adobe FDS version support more languages.

On 10/7/06, barry.beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > why the heck should they push it?!?
> Because it makes Flex more attractive/a legitimate possibility to a
> MUCH larger audience.

I don't think anyone is disputing that, especially with Adobe getting
(needing) the jump on whatever Microsoft's Vista, XAML, etc will mean
in the marketplace.

but there's active pushing Vs benign acceptance. So, who should write
Ruby remoting tutorials - Adobe?

> > Adobe (and Macromedia before) are (IMHO) doing a lousy job in
> > promoting ColdFusion to other than the already converted.
> How so? Pretty much every tutorial out there focuses on a Java and/or
> CF backend.

I'm talking more generally, not just remoting with CF tutorials.
Besides, CF is an Adobe product and deserves support on how to tie
their technology together, especially for the price of the CF
licences. If Alaire still owned CF and not the same company that has
Flash/Flex, would anyone on this list give ColdFusion a serious second
look?

I'm looking forward to Bruce Chizen (or any other Adobe very-big-wig)
giving an interview and mentions ColdFusion in the same breath as
Flash or Flex. Then I'll shut the F*** up and eat my hat.

> I get the feeling that some of you think switching backends is the
> easy part of the equation, which is totally not the case.

I somewhat disagree. you're correct for your own circumstance but in
my enterprise that's exactly what we're doing for our in-house apps
and development platform. Bye-bye CF, and we're not the only one.
Want a list?

and development houses writing solutions for customers? last project:
CF. Next project .NET.

I don't have a problem with Weborb creating remoting solutions for
PHP, Ruby or Farmer Brown's cows. But when they get released as GPL it
seems to make ColdFusion look like a very expensive platform in
comparison, possibly the biggest argument knockers throw up against
CF, which is a damn shame considering how well it works.

but no one has answered my question: why didn't Adobe release remoting
solutions themselves?

and another question:

imagine someone(s) else creates a free Flex plug-in for Eclipse,
design view 'n'all. the SDK is free, the remoting is free. what's in
it for Adobe - more free Flashplayer downloads?

--
John C. Bland II
Chief Geek