Ahh...we're on a Flex list. I should've realized that question was Flex related. :-)

No, there isn't a solution for Flex that covers a broad scope of languages. AMF3, what I assume we're talking about, is implemented into AMFPHP and Fluourine already so there is no need to reinvent the wheel. They have the Remoting MX product covered already by the community products (AMFPHP and Fluourine). I seriously doubt anyone bought Remoting MX anyway; probably why no upgrade since MX. $999 was a bit much on that front. AMF0, on the other hand, is supported by AMFPHP, CF, and Fluourine as well.

So, I don't see where the prob is here. You can do remoting in the three major web languages. Ruby/Rails is coming up on the horizon and, as always, the community has provided a product (WebORB) to support it.

Is the issue that Adobe hasn't done it? If so, this is an argument/discussion I'll bow out of since I don't work for Adobe.

BTW, almost anything enterprise is expensive to scale, except to..err..enterprises. :-) CF being overkill is an opinion by all means so I'll leave it alone.