I'll respond on the blog. :-D

On 4/21/07, Scott Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

   John I agree with you on a lot of the points, but I am driven by the
past, present and future and it's murky on both brands to be honest. I get
were Microsoft are going, I don't get were Adobe ar going so I'm affiliated
to the MS Brand for my RIA going forward

Want to know why?

http://blogs.msdn.com/msmossyblog/archive/2007/04/22/thanks-silverlight-you-just-validated-ria-wrong-here-s-why.aspx

I decided to make a post about my history with Flash/FLEX from 2002 to
2007and hopefully illustrate why I prefer Microsoft's thoughts in the end
and also disagree with Flash vs Silverlight discussions. I think they are
still different technologies that may have an overlap in a few spots, but
the direcion is different.

 On 4/22/07, John C. Bland II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> /e) for a year now. Silverlight has quite a ways before competing with Flash
> but it is clear there is a market for Silverlight.
>
> Bottom line, competition breeds innovation, IMO. With Silverlight being
> here...Flash HAS to step up and I mean the player. This is only going to
> make Adobe seriously make some big advancements. Not that they have been
> lacking with updates but now the pressure is on.
>
> I mean...who's pushed Flash in the last few years? MM/Adobe developers
> and the community. That's all well and good but people will be looking at
> Silverlight apps/sites/animations and saying "I wish Flash could do this!"
> This would be big time pressure on Adobe to produce results.
>
> * Silverlight will not crush Flash.
> * Flash is no longer the only player in the game.
> * Both have their own markets.
> * Flash will be on top for many years to come.
> * I'm happy Silverlight is as good as it is and still growing.
> (remember, v1 isn't out yet and it has some Flash's new abilities)
>
> Disclaimer:
> I'm a Flash Platform geek to the core. Being objective is just a good
> quality. ;-)
>
> On 4/21/07, Scott Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> >
> >    Paul,
> >
> > How many enterprise / companies do you know are shopping around for
> > electronic forms built in PDF vs SAAS solutions?  PDF is a danger in some
> > organisations, it's something they want to put as much distance away from as
> > possible and prefer to leave them buried in the Document Management
> > Solution(s). I'm not saying it's not worth the persuit (I think MSFT has
> > some stuff in this space as well, forgive me as I've not cared to look into
> > what they are) but do so *NOT* at the expense of FLEX/RIA development
> > world-wide.
> >
> > 2002 RIA Theory was written down, people bought it (I for one, hey he
> > also was the brains behind CF, so I owe my mortgage to his last idea, so
> > figured he'd be worth the second). It's 2007 and RIA is supposed to be
> > bigger! Yet, isn't as widespread.
> >
> > So, Microsoft are looking to give developers access to three tiers of
> > User Experience through a more mature approach that goes beyond the runtime
> > stck with a focus on the developers initially, get them on firm footing,
> > then go look at the higher ends of town as by this point developers, whom
> > are just as important, have validated the substance of the technology on
> > merit.
> >
> > Good Experience
> > AJAX  / HTML / CSS
> >
> > Great Experience
> > Silverlight
> >
> > Ultimate Experience
> > Windows Presentation Foundation
> >

> > ASP.NET <http://asp.net/> 2.0 has reduced effort by up to
> > two-thirds since ASP 1.0 was produced, I say this as being a
> > Coldfusion developer for 9 years I'm amazed at how fluent one is able to go
> > from ASP to AJAX, so I can only hint that going from
ASP.NET<http://asp.net/>AJAX to Silverlight is going to be enormous in productivity
gains and with

--
Regards,