I have been working on a calendar of events flex application as most
anybody who monitors these flex lists probably has noticed.  This is a
reworking of an existing [D]HTML/CFML application.  Part of the current
display is that canceled events are displayed with a strike-through text
decoration.

I am trying to convey this same information in the flex version.  I have
tried using a strike-through decoration, but my attempts to use htmlText
functionality in flex did not produce any results.  I then tried to use
the alpha property to fade the canceled events.  After embedding a font
so that the alpha effect would take effect, the results where less then
desirable, it was just not clear enough.

Any suggestions on a simple but effective way to display the canceled
events?  It should be noted that the events are color coded to indicate
which of four areas to which they belong.  This color coded information
needs to be maintained for canceled events and I am reluctant to try and
create four "canceled" colors.  This is a quite a colorful, busy,
information packed screen as it is.

Is there an easy way I could apply an image/graphic/effect to create
some kind of diagonal lines mask/background of the box containing the
canceled drive information?