I just use whatever I can get to work. I'm happy just using flex, and
when I use some old flash its only because I don't know any better.
The ball class is from the foundation action script 3 animation book and
there is no import mx.core.UIComponent; in thier example.

When you say: If you're new to Flex, I suggest beginning with complete
Flex examples that use standard Flex components and postponing trying to
use Sprites-based classes.

I'd do that if I could figure out how. The "live docs" are not good for
learning form because the examples are either not complete or are way
too complete with too many distracting bells and whistles. They need to
start with basic building blocks but they don't seem to understand the
concept. It just blows my mind how bad the documentation is. . Can you
suggest a book ?