I'm going to throw my 2p in, for what it's worth. In my experience, it
depends largely on the type of employer you're applying to. If you're trying
to get into a smaller boutique shop (think Universal Mind, Cynergy,
EffectiveUI, etc.) which in my opinion are some of the coolest places to
work, a degree matters less if you got the skills, and can demonstrate them.
If you're trying to get into a corporation, the degree becomes nearly
imperative, unless you know somebody inside that can get you in front of the
hiring manager directly. Basically, it comes down to whether or not you have
to go through an HR department that really doesn't know or care what it is
you do, or what your capabilities are, so long as you look good on paper.
Some companies have it as corporate policy. I know I've been bitten before
where the hiring manager actually wanted to hire me, but HR wouldn't let him
because company policy dictated that anyone in that kind of position have at
least a bachelors degree. Just something to be aware of.