If its your first job in the field a degree will certainly help.  After
that you had better have some good references and be able to code on the
spot. You also need to be personable in the interview (no small point).

I was a political philosophy major.  It was the only degree I could find
that didnt have a math requirement at my school!  (Still had to take 6
hours of statistics .....twice).  My first job was as a bill collector!
Didnt like that so I quit, worked construction, and took some night
school classes in programming (cobol, pascal, c)(1988!). Somebody in my
class got me a job at a bank and I've just gone from there.   I've been
through several banks and two startups. One very successful, one not.
I've been through several managerial positions.  I personally dont care
if you have a degree or not.  I care about what you know and (VERY
important) how motivated you are/how much passion you have for what you
do, and how much of a team player you can be. Its absoluteley no fun
working with people who are not doing what they love (this job just
requires too much dedication).  Its also a colossal waste of time and a
huge vulnerability to hire people who can not communicate with others
and/or are elitist (therefore, the team player requirement).  If you
give short answers at an interview and talk to your feet, you wont get
the good jobs.  With all this in mind, a degree is, therefore,
irrelevant to me.  Most of the people I would hire will come through
mutual friends (linkedin is a great source for this).

NEVER burn a bridge (5 years down the road, you have no idea who is
going to be the decision maker in something you want/need very, very
badly).  And ALWAYS keep in touch with people you know are good,
motivated and love what they do.  Build your short list of contacts as
you advance through your career.  It WILL be a life saver sooner or
later. (The coolest idea in the world and VC money are useless unless
you can build a good team).

Somebody mentioned putting a blog up and posting like hell.  I think
thats is a great idea!  Its much better than a resume.  It shows that
you are motivated, it displays your talent level (code wise), your
organizational ability, your ability to explain difficult concepts, your
ability to communicate in writing, and, it can, show your ability to
deal with annoying people! (And, at deadline, after a 60, 70 hour week,
everybody gets annoying!) A very good idea.

brad