I modified the example from the help slightly by adding a couple of
simple buttons:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:WindowedApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
     layout="vertical"
     applicationComplete="init()" backgroundColor="0x003030"
focusRect="false">
     <mx:Script>
         <![CDATA[
             private function init():void
             {
                 stage.displayState =
StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN_INTERACTIVE;
                 focusManager.setFocus(terminal);
                 terminal.text = "Welcome to the dumb terminal app. Press
the ESC key to exit..\n";
                 terminal.selectionBeginIndex = terminal.text.length;
                 terminal.selectionEndIndex = terminal.text.length;
                 enterFS.visible = false;
             }

             private function exitFullScreenMode():void
             {
                 stage.displayState = StageDisplayState.NORMAL;
                 exitFS.visible = false;
                 enterFS.visible = true;
             }

             private function enterFullScreenMode():void
             {
                 stage.displayState =
StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN_INTERACTIVE;
                 exitFS.visible = true;
                 enterFS.visible = false;
             }

         ]]>
     </mx:Script>
     <mx:TextArea
         id="terminal"
         height="100%" width="100%"
         scroll="false"
         backgroundColor="0x003030"
         color="0xCCFF00"
         fontFamily="Lucida Console"
         fontSize="44"/>
     <mx:HBox>
         <mx:Button id="exitFS" label="Exit Full Screen Mode"
click="exitFullScreenMode();"/>
         <mx:Button id="enterFS" label="Enter Full Screen Mode"
click="enterFullScreenMode();"/>
     </mx:HBox>
</mx:WindowedApplication>

This works for me here using Windows XP - no compiler errors, no
crashing, no freezing.