Am I missing something. Can't you just set the headless server option?

>From the Manual:
A headless server is one that is running UNIX or Linux and often does
not have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or even a graphics card. Headless
servers are most commonly encountered in ISPs and ISVs, where
available space is at a premium and servers are often mounted in
racks. Enabling the headless mode reduces the graphics requirements of
the underlying system and can allow for a more efficient use of memory.

If you deploy a Flex application on a headless server, you must set
the headless-server option of the compiler to true. Setting this
option to true is required to support fonts and SVG images in a
nongraphical environment.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Florian Sprenger