> At 07:40 AM 10/6/2005, Dale Boresz wrote:

I have often advocated that, someday, we minimize/get rid of this
altogether with some sort of true USB interface to a small microprocessor,
possibly sending in the I and Q stream as integers or IEEE floats,
depending on what works best and then have either the D44 or an ordinary
D/A A/D hidden inside either the current box or some sort of "caboose" for
us old timers.  Well, I can dream, can't I?

Yep.... would be nice to have a digital output... but, practically speaking, designing high performance A/D,D/A stuff is a royal pain.

But, it would get rid of _all_ the cable problems once and for all.  I
have the USB-to-parallel and it works fine on my underpowered laptop (1.4
GHz, Celeron) even without the latest recommended fix.

Why not have it spit out on Ethernet?

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075