Great plan, John. I only had access to the 5052A for a day, so was pretty limited in what I could do; it's great that you'll be able to carry things forward.

The one addition I would suggest is that you duplicate the DDS output measurements using the 10MHz source as well as the VF oscillator. That would add to my sketchy info about the effect of the multiplier on phase noise.

I was not happy with the results I got, I think due to the way I was coupling out of the DDS, which was essentially a x1 scope probe with less-than-perfect grounding. After the fact, I redid the connection with a 50 ohm series resistor at U1 pin 6 (actually, mounted into a via on that line) and a short piece of RG-174 feeding a buffer amplifier. I think something like that will give better results.

By the way -- I looked at the AD9854 data sheet and it includes several phase noise plots. From those, you would gather that there is a cost in using the internal multiplier, but that it doesn't scale with DDS output frequency. Also, from a quick read you could get the impression that the phase noise of the reference clock doesn't really matter (within reason, of course); they show the output phase noise plot without any reference to the noise of the clock.

73,
John
----

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
This is cool. It's great to be able to discuss the nuances of what really goes on within our radios. Spreading the word is a very good
thing.  I checked out John's(N8UR) web site and I'm inspired.  I have
an E5052A Signal Source Analyzer setting here and plan to make a few
measurements.

Here's the plan so far:

i. measure phase noise of a 10MHz crystal (it will probably be limited by the E5052A)
        ii.     the 200MHz VF1611
        iii.  DDS output with VF1611 as the clock at:
                        1MHz
                        5MHz
                        10MHz
                        50MHz

Anyone have any additional ideas?  I'm all ears.

73,
k2ox