John,

Are you using a Delta-44?  If so I would do just as Eric says and run
your mic directly to INS/3 on the breakout box.  You can run a
balanced or unbalanced mic to that jack with the proper plug.  It
converts it to unbal soon as it goes into the box anyway.  You might
also consider getting a pre-amp if that particular mic does not have a
lot of output.  The Behringer UB802 is a simple mixer with adjustable
mic pre and takes balanced or unbalanced mics and outputs to either as
well.  I think it sells for around $50.  I've used one before and it
worked perfectly, no hummmmm!

Good Luck,
Brian
W5AMI


On 7/12/06, FlexRadio - Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> John,
>
> It sounds like you may need to isolate the microphone ground from the
> chassis ground.  Having these connected can cause a ground loop that can
> cause strange echoes with distortion (grows with higher power) as well as
> hum.  Note that the pinout in the Operating Manual for the 8-pin mic
> connector has these two on separate pins for this reason.
>
> The need for this is because the soundcard has it's own ground and this is
> ultimately where the microphone signal is headed.  If possible, try to run
> the microphone directly to the soundcard and see if that improves things as
> this will ensure no ground loop exists between the microphone input and the
> chassis.
>
>
> Eric Wachsmann
> FlexRadio Systems
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > radio.biz] On Behalf Of John Hansen
> > Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 6:58 PM
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject: [Flexradio] More on Audio Problem
> >
> > Upon further reflection, the problem is not just a hum.  There is a weak
> > hum in there, but there is also what sounds like feedback.... it goes
> > thumpa thumpa thumpa.... however I do have the monitor off.  It
> > continues even when I turn the radio off that I was using to monitor
> > it.... at that point I can hear if very weakly thumping in my monitor
> > speaker (even though it's on mute).  When I turn the mic gain down to 0
> > it has no effect, but if I lower my power to a setting under 30 it does
> > go away.  I do hope this isn't an indication that RF is getting into
> > this because with all these wires running around here it's going to be a
> > mess to straighten out.  BTW, I do not have this interference on CW or
> > on the digital modes using the VAC.
> >
> > John
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > FlexRadio mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
> > Archive Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
> > FlexRadio Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> FlexRadio mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
> Archive Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
> FlexRadio Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com
>


-- 
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense." -- Frank Lloyd Wright

_______________________________________________
FlexRadio mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archive Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
FlexRadio Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com

Reply via email to