On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Gary Strong<gary.w.str...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Brian:
> Thanks.  The Flex-3000 has a "FlexWire" Bus jack on the back, whose
> pin-out table in the manual shows that it has a "line-in" (pin 2) and
> "line-out" (pin 9).  (There is also a separate PTT jack on the back.
> But, I suspect your suggestion of making Airmail do PTT with a separate
> virtual com port to PowerSDR is better than sending it through the SCS
> modem as you said.)

Good point on using the line-in and line-out on the FlexWire jack. But
you *must* use a hard-wired PTT line between PTC-IIex and the radio
since the AirMail software does not generate a PTT signal of any sort,
not even in the software. That is generated in the PTC-IIex hardware.

(As a point of general interest and having nothing to do with this
thread, can anyone comment on the latency introduced by the CAT
transmit command vs. using a hard-wired PTT?)

> Do you think these FlexWire line-in/line-out pins are what I need for data-in
> and data-out for the modem?

Um, maybe. When you say data-in and data-out are you talking about the
digital signals to the computer or the audio signals to the radio? On
my PTC-IIpro the interface to the radio is labeled "HF-transceiver
Audio". It is an 8-pin DIN connector (compatible with 5-pin DIN). The
connections there are as follows:

1 - audio output from PTC to transmitter (connect to line-in on radio)
2 - ground
3 - PTT
4 - audio input from receiver to PTC (connect to line-out on radio)
5 - 13.5V in (to power the PTC-II from the radio -- you can use 13V on
pin-8 of the flexwire to provide this)

I downloaded the PTC-II installation guide from SCS. It covers both
the PTC-IIex and PTC-IIpro. (My manual is for the PTC-IIpro only.)
They use the same interface to the HF transceiver on both devices.

> If so, that
> would work a lot easier than my suggestion.  The manual doesn't offer a
> detailed description of the FlexWire Bus, but says specifications are
> available to home brewers.  I wonder where they can be seen somewhere?

Yes, the signals of interest on the FlexWire connector are:

1. ground (connect to pin
2. line-in (connect to pin 1, audio-out, of the PTC-IIex)
8. +13.8V (connect to pin 5, power in, of the PTC-IIex)
9. line-out (connect to pin 4, audio-in, of the PTC-IIex)

Too bad that there is no PTT signal on the FlexWire connector. That
would have been just too easy to have everything on one cable between
the radio and Pactor controller. You are going to have to cook up a
connection from pin 3 of the HF interface DIN connector to the PTT-in
RCA jack on the back of the Flex 3000. At least that is not too
painful.

I recommend that you double-check this with Flex. Regardless, this is
how I plan to connect my PTC-IIpro to the F5K except that I will be
using the line-in, line-out, and PTT RCA jacks on the F5K instead of
the FlexWire connector. (Hmm, maybe I *will* use the FlexWire jack as
that will allow it to work the the F3K as well as the F5K.)

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL