> First, the obvious solution is not to run 1.2.x ...
> after all, the 1.4 series has been released stable.

I am not running any version since it cannot even
be downloaded! This bug was there 1/2 year ago!

> Second, from memory (back when I was running 1.2)
> the bug was only a problem with navaid sound effects.

What ever! If I just could download some fresh binaries
to test it. But that is impossible! The site asks password.

> Rather than telling me that FGFS is the only one irritating you,
> by mentioning a bunch of irrelevant packages, perhaps you could
> answer the questions I asked and save yourself some time ?

I think you should test and study some other packages to learn
something more. There are also other peoble that can do the
programming. The problem is in FGFS! Ask what ever questions
you want! Find some better sound system that does the job.

JOJ